CooksCountry.com. I added a bit of turmeric to give it a deeper flavor and gorgeous color.
• 1⁄2 cup sweet corn kernels, divided
• 3-1⁄2 cups water, divided
• 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
• 3 green onions, thinly sliced
• Sliced jalapeño peppers, optional
• 1 cup whole milk
• 2 teaspoons hot sauce
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 cup grits
• 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric, optional
• 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
• 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 3⁄4 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
1. In bowl of food processor, puree 1⁄4 cup corn kernels with 2 to 3 tablespoons water until smooth. Set aside.
2. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add and lightly sauté green onions and pepper slices, if using, for 2 minutes, or until softened. Whisk in remaining water, milk and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Bring mixture to boil while continuously whisking. Stir in grits. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes, or until mixture becomes thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
4. Add pureed corn, remaining corn kernels, remaining butter and turmeric, and mix well. Stir in cheeses until melted. Serve immediately.
Try more comfort food recipes with Country Cooking Classics: Chicken Fried Steak and More.