30 min DURATION
15 min COOK TIME
15 min PREP TIME
6 to 8 servings SERVINGS
- 1⁄2 cup sweet corn kernels, divided
- 3-1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Sliced jalapeño peppers, optional
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric, optional
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- In bowl of food processor, puree 1⁄4 cup corn kernels with 2 to 3 tablespoons water until smooth. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add and lightly sauté green onions and pepper slices, if using, for 2 minutes, or until softened. Whisk in remaining water, milk and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring mixture to boil while continuously whisking. Stir in grits. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes, or until mixture becomes thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add pureed corn, remaining corn kernels, remaining butter and turmeric, and mix well. Stir in cheeses until melted. Serve immediately.
Try more comfort food recipes with Country Cooking Classics: Chicken Fried Steak and More.
This recipe is adapted from CooksCountry.com. I added a bit of turmeric to give it a deeper flavor and gorgeous color.