Easy Gnocchi Soup with Spinach
Yields 6 servings.
Note: For a quick version, use store-bought gnocchi.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups stemmed raw spinach or chopped kale
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups Italian cheese blend, divided, plus more for garnish
- Crusty bread, grated Parmesan cheese, and parsley, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with water and boil, whole, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, tomato juice, and basil, and bring to a light boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, and bring soup back to a boil. Add spinach, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove stockpot from heat and let sit, covered, while you prepare the gnocchi.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, and nutmeg.
- While potatoes are still warm, grate them with a food processor, box grater, or ricer. Add grated potato, egg, and 1 cup Italian cheese blend to flour mixture, and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Dump potato mixture onto work surface, and knead until smooth. Divide dough into 6 equal balls, and roll each ball out with your hands to make a small rope about 12 inches long by 1 inch in diameter. Cut ropes into 1-inch-long pieces.
- Return stockpot to stove and bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Drop in gnocchi pieces. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until gnocchi floats, indicating it’s done. Add remaining 1 cup Italian cheese blend, and stir until melted.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and crusty bread.
For more Seasonal Soup Recipes, check out Winter Soups to Warm You Up.
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.