Yields 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 pound beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 cups water
- 2 tablespoons beef base, or
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 3/4 cup uncooked barley
- 3/4 cup peas
- 3/4 cup corn
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- Parsley and crackers, for garnish
- In a stockpot over medium heat, heat oil, and then add onion, chuck roast, salt, and pepper. Cook until meat is browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add water and beef base, and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until beef is tender and falls apart.
- Add barley, peas, corn, and carrots, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and choice of crackers.
For more Seasonal Soup Recipes, check out Winter Soups to Warm You Up.
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry.