French Onion Beef Soup
Note: Get a jump-start on this scrumptious soup by cooking the beef and broth overnight in a slow cooker. Add the vegetables in the morning, and it’ll be ready by lunchtime. You can also make this soup on the stovetop; just reduce the initial cooking time to 3 to 4 hours at a simmer, and the second cooking time to 1 hour. Yields 6 servings.
- 1 pound beef chuck steak or roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or
- 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette or French bread loaf
- Olive oil, as needed
- Swiss cheese, as needed
- In a slow cooker, cook chuck steak and beef broth on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove meat from the slow cooker and shred it into small pieces with a fork.
- Return meat to slow cooker, and add carrots, onions, parsley, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice bread into 1-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of each slice with olive oil, and broil in the oven until golden brown; watch carefully so the bread doesn’t burn.
- Place soup in single-serving ovenproof bowls and top each with 2 to 3 toasted baguette pieces and Swiss cheese. Broil in the oven until cheese is melted, usually just a few seconds.
For more Seasonal Soup Recipes, check out Winter Soups to Warm You Up.
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry.
Gingerbread Cowbarn Recipe
Celebrate your rural roots this holiday season by making a homemade gingerbread barn, and start a new Christmas tradition with your family.
Homemade Steamed Buns: Take a Bao
Tired of the same old bread recipes? Rise to a new level with this no-bake favorite.
Recipes from Grandma’s Cookie Jar: Peanut Butter Cookies, Brown Sugar Crescents, and Soft Sour Cream Drops
Come and have a nostalgic look at cookies and the women who baked them for National Cookie Day and National Homemade Cookie Month.