Ham Alfredo Rigatoni Recipe
- 12 ounces rigatoni or other pasta
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 5 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sherry, white wine, or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, or 1 teaspoon dry, plus more for serving
- 2 cups cooked, coarsely chopped ham
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the bay leaves to the water. Drain.
- In a large bowl, toss pasta with olive oil. Cover, and set aside to keep warm.
- Place broccoli in a 2-quart saucepan, and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and let broccoli stand in water for 3 minutes. Drain.
- While pasta and broccoli are cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add sour cream, cream cheese, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a dash of pepper, and Parmesan cheese, and whisk until smooth, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in sherry, parsley, and ham, and cook for 4 minutes, or until creamy and somewhat thick. If sauce becomes too thick, stir in a little additional milk.
- Add broccoli and sauce to pasta, and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with additional parsley, and serve with additional Parmesan.
Valerie Boese and her family live in northeast Nebraska, where they grow a wide variety of vegetables, herbs, and fruits. The family owns and operates TarBox Hollow Poultry.