Recipes for Colorful Canned Tomatoes
• Approximately 17 pounds tomatoes
• 4 large stalks celery
• 3 carrots
• 2 medium onions
• 2 medium bell peppers
• 2 medium beets, cooked
• 4 ounces fresh parsley
• 5 to 7 ounces fresh spinach
• 1⁄4 cup salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• Lemon juice, optional
1. Wash, core, and chop tomatoes coarsely. Set aside.
2. Coarsely chop celery, carrots, onions, bell peppers, beets, parsley, and spinach.
3. Combine all vegetables in one or two large, deep kettles. Add salt and pepper, and lemon juice, if using. Cover and heat over medium heat. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 45 minutes.
4. Process vegetables through a food mill.
5. Pour hot juice into hot, sterilized quart jars, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Seal with new sterilized bands and lids, and process for 15 minutes in a hot water bath, beginning counting from the time when the water returns to a full rolling boil after jars have been immersed. Remove from water bath, and allow to cool before storing.
NOTE: Pints require only 10 minutes in a hot water bath.