Turkey Pie with Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Sauce Recipe
6 to 8 servings
- 2-pound split (half) turkey breast
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 broccoli tops, 7 to 8 ounces each
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chilled butter, diced
- 1/3 cup chilled vegetable shortening 5 to 7 tablespoons cold water
Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces room-temperature sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sprinkle the turkey breast with salt and pepper and place it on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove the turkey breast from the oven and tent with aluminum foil. Let rest for 15 minutes, or until cool enough to handle. Remove the skin and bones and cut the breast meat into bite-size pieces. Measure about 3 cups for the recipe. While the turkey bakes, prepare the pie crust.
- Pie Crust: In a large bowl, combine the 2 cups of flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, blend in the butter and shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Add the cold water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork, until the dough can be formed into a ball. Divide the ball in half and press each half into a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes.
- To prepare the broccoli, cut off the stalks of each broccoli top just below where the florets begin. Break or cut the florets into tiny, bite-size pieces. Measure 3 to 4 cups. Drop the florets into a pot of boiling water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender- crisp. Drain the florets and drop into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and preserve the color. Drain well.
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce: Melt the butter in a large saucepan over
More from The New Kansas Cookbook:
Reprinted with permission from The New Kansas Cookbook by Frank and Jayni Carey and published by the University Press of Kansas, 2016.
The New Kansas Cookbook (University Press of Kansas, 2016) by Frank and Jayni Carey compiles recipes built from the agriculture local to Kansas. The cookbook includes recipes from top local restaurants as well as original recipes submitted by Kansans. The Careys have been cooking together since they met and have published two cookbooks together. The following excerpt is for turkey pie with broccoli and cheddar cheese.
If you’re between holidays but craving the taste of turkey, here’s a new twist on an old favorite. Turkey pie is often made with leftovers, but a small split turkey breast cooks easily with much less fuss. The twist: a broccoli and cheddar cheese sauce. It may just become the new family favorite. — Frank and Jayni