Plum Kuchen Recipe
This delicious Plum Kuchen Recipe originated in Germany.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 cups seeded and quartered plums (approximately 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking power, salt and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter; blend until crumbly.
- In another bowl, beat together egg and milk; stir into flour mixture. Blend well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Arrange plum quarters, overlapping, on top. Melt remaining butter and drizzle over plums.
- Mix remaining sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over plums.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Theresa Wagner, Madison, Wisconsin, offers a Plum Kuchen Recipe that works for breakfast or dessert.