- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup yogurt or buttermilk*
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pears
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter bread pan.
- In large bowl, cream butter, and gradually beat in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add to egg mixture, alternating with yogurt. Stir in pears and vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until bread tests done with toothpick. *If desired, in place of yogurt or buttermilk, you can use 1/4 cup whole milk, in which 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar has been added and allowed to sit for 1/2 hour.
Per our request for other recipes using pears, Leslie Holly, Vestal, New York, sends this bread recipe, which sounds delicious.