Homemade Bread Bowls
Yields 6 bowls.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water,
- 105 to 110
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole-wheat white flour
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
1. Add all ingredients to bread machine, in order, according to your machine’s instructions. Run on dough cycle.
Alternatively, mix dough by hand: In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, milk, and yeast mixture, and beat on low speed with a handheld mixer until thoroughly blended, about 2 minutes. Add sugar, salt, and 1 cup whole-wheat flour, and mix on medium speed until well-blended, about 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly add remaining flour in 1⁄2 cup increments, until all flour is added; dough will become stiff.
Dump dough onto a lightly floured work surface, and knead for 6 to 8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic and no longer sticky. Add flour to work surface if dough begins to stick.
Place dough in a large greased bowl, turn one time, and cover with a dish towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
2. When dough is ready, divide equally into 6 balls. Roll out each ball to 1-1⁄2-inch thickness. Let dough rise for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F. Transfer dough to a baking sheet, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden-brown.
4. Once cool, hollow out the center of each bowl for soup. Save cut out bread for other uses, such as to make croutons.
For more Seasonal Soup Recipes, check out Winter Soups to Warm You Up.
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.