Game Day Cheeseburger Soup
Photo by Valerie Boese
Yields 6 servings.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 large bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook ground beef, onion, black pepper, and beef base until beef is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, bring potatoes, carrots, and bay leaf to a boil in just enough water to cover potatoes. Cover, and lightly boil for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1 cup milk until smooth. Add milk and flour mixture to stockpot with potatoes. Reduce heat to low, and add remaining 2 cups milk and parsley. Cover, and cook on low until soup thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add cheeses, butter, and salt, and cook on low heat, stirring, until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and cheese.
For more Seasonal Soup Recipes, check out Winter Soups to Warm You Up.
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.