Game Day Cheeseburger Soup
By Valerie Boese | Jan 5, 2021
Photo by Valerie Boese
Yields 6 servings.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 large bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook ground beef, onion, black pepper, and beef base until beef is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, bring potatoes, carrots, and bay leaf to a boil in just enough water to cover potatoes. Cover, and lightly boil for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1 cup milk until smooth. Add milk and flour mixture to stockpot with potatoes. Reduce heat to low, and add remaining 2 cups milk and parsley. Cover, and cook on low until soup thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add cheeses, butter, and salt, and cook on low heat, stirring, until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and cheese.
For more Seasonal Soup Recipes, check out Winter Soups to Warm You Up.
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry.
Create a Home Canning Pantry That Works for You
If you’re anything like me you might be somewhat limited on your space. We have six people and live in a 1,500-square-foot home. I’m not complaining one bit about its size but sometimes, I do need to get creative when it comes to storing home canned foods and my canning supplies. If this is the […]
Grill Outside the Box
Sear up savory vegetable and bread dishes that go beyond traditional grill grub.
Seek Chanterelles in Summertime
Morels aren’t the only treasure available to mushroom lovers! Expand your foraging to include chanterelles, and savor their flavor in these recipes.