Curried Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 cup water
- 3 pounds chicken breast halves, bone-in and with skin
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2–3 tablespoons curry powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups peeled and diced apples
- 1/2 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion or shallot
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns, water, and chicken to the pressure cooker.
2. Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure; maintain pressure for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat; allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick-release any remaining pressure.
4. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a bowl. Strain the broth in the pressure cooker and then pour it over the chicken. Allow chicken to cool in the broth.
5. To make the salad, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Stir to mix. Stir in the apples, grapes, celery, almonds, and red onion or shallot.
6. Remove the chicken from the bones. Discard the bones and skin. Dice the chicken and fold into the salad mixture. Chill until ready to serve.
More from The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook:Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
Excerpted from The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Adams Media. Copyright © 2016 F+W Media, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Buy this book from our store: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook.
The old fashioned pressure cooker is now a must-have tool in the modern busy cook’s kitchen. As easy as a slow cooker, but without the all-day wait. The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (F+W Media, 2016), by Adams Media shows readers how to reduce cooking times by up to 90 percent while preserving the essential vitamins in food. This excerpt comes from chapter 7, “Poultry Entrees.”
You can purchase this book from the GRIT store: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook.