Photo by Adobe Stock/fahrwasser
Yields 1 loaf.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups cored and chopped crab apples
- 1/2 cup chopped black walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a standard-sized loaf pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, milk, and lemon juice, and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, and mix until moist. Stir in fruit and nuts, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove bread from oven, and cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before removing and slicing.
Discover more information on crab apples, as well as more great recipes, in Cooking with Crab Apples.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@Gmail.com.