- 8 dove breasts
For the cornbread casserole:
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 cups corn bread stuffing mix
- 1 cup upland game bird stock or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2-quart casserole; set aside.
- In medium skillet, cook and stir celery, onion, and parsley in butter over medium heat until tender.
- Add remaining stuffing ingredients. Mix until moistened.
- Place half of stuffing mixture in prepared casserole. Arrange dove breasts over stuffing.
- Cover completely with remaining stuffing mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until dove is cooked through and tender, about 1 hour.
More from Dressing & Cooking Wild Game:• How to Cook Wild Game Meat • Peppered Antelope Roast Recipe • Grilled Deer Loin Recipe with Brown Sugar Glaze • Squirrel Brunswick Stew Recipe • Roast Duck Recipe with Pineapple
Reprinted with permission from Dressing & Cooking Wild Game by Teresa Marrone and published by Voyageur Press, 2014.
Wild game is richer in flavor and lower in fat and calories than domestic meat, but cooking it successfully can be a challenge. With the step-by-step instructions in Dressing & Cooking Wild Game (Voyageur Press, 2014), by Teresa Marrone, you can ensure great-tasting dishes after every hunting expedition, from properly field dressing your game to choosing a preparation that suits it. The following recipe is from “Upland Game Birds: Recipes.”
Moist corn bread stuffing prevents the doves from becoming dry in this classic Southern recipe.