- 2 pounds collard greens, cleaned and deveined
- 6 strips thick-sliced bacon
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Stack collard greens, and slice all leaves into 1-inch strips. Set aside.
- Slice bacon into 1-inch pieces, and fry in large stockpot over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pot, and drain on plate lined with paper-towels.
- Add onion to stockpot, and sauté in drippings until softened. Add chicken stock, vinegar, maple syrup and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until heated through.
- Add collard greens and bacon pieces to stockpot, and toss, using metal tongs, until leaves are well-coated.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Try more comfort food recipes with Country Cooking Classics: Chicken Fried Steak and More.
Collard greens with bacon has plenty of soul and nutrition.