Spinach and Arugula Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups spinach and arugula, mixed
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated as garnish
- In small cup, make a vinaigrette by combining oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, rosemary, sea salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify.
- Place spinach and arugula in large bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss, straining out garlic clove.
- Divide mixture evenly among four serving plates, and garnish each with croutons and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Craving more fresh Italian recipes? Check out Farmhouse Style Italian Recipes.
Karen K. Will is editor of Heirloom Gardener magazine, and co-author, along with Editor-in-Chief Oscar H. Will III, of Plowing With Pigs and Other Creative, Low-Budget Homesteading Solutions (New Society Publishers, 2013).
Arugula & Spinach Salad
Arugula and spinach are a perfect combination as the spinach balances out the spicy arugula. Both are extremely easy to grow in the garden and can even be grown year-round with a moderate season-extending setup, such as a cold frame or low tunnel, depending on your climate.