- 1 pound hamburger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch parsley flakes
- 1/2 pound shredded cheese
- 1/2 pound ground bologna
- Hamburger buns
- Additional shredded cheese
- Brown hamburger with salt, pepper and onion; drain excess fat.
- Combine tomato paste, water, oregano and parsley; mix well. Add to hamburger mixture and heat until mixture is hot.
- Add shredded cheese, stirring until it melts, and then add bologna. Mix well and heat through.
- Place large spoonful on bottom half of hamburger bun, and add additional shredded cheese on top, if desired.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place sandwiches in oven to warm and toast for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Craving the school pizza burger recipe from your youth? A long-time school cafeteria cook shares the recipe that she still makes at home for her daughter today.
Debra Iddings, Lebanon, Indiana, writes that her mother worked in her school’s cafeteria for 18 years. This recipe was a favorite, and Debra’s mom still makes them on occasion.