- 1 pound whole mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons pickling salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried tarragon
- Wash mushrooms and trim stems.
- In 3-quart saucepan, combine onion rings, vinegar, water, brown sugar, pickling salt and tarragon. Bring to a boil; add mushrooms. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, lift out mushrooms and onion rings; reserve liquid and keep hot.
- In clean pint or half-pint jars, pack mushrooms and onion rings, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cover with hot liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids.
- Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes for either pint or half-pint jars. Start timing when boiling resumes. Yields 2 pint jars or 4 half-pint jars.
Sarah Vaughan, Waterville, Maine, sends another version of a Pickled Mushroom Recipe.