Using natural and simple ingredients, Yossy Arefi presents a collection of heirloom-quality recipes for pies, tarts, ice cream, preserves, and other sweet treats in her book Sweeter Off the Vine. She cherishes the fruit of every season and celebrates what’s fresh and vibrant any time of year, enhancing fruit’s enticing sweetness with bold flavors like rose and orange flower water inspired by her Iranian heritage, and whole-grain flours like rye and spelt. With desserts for all seasons, treats to suit every taste, and visually-stunning photography in Arefi’s signature, earthy style, Sweeter Off the Vine is sure to delight not just in the spring recipe featured here, but throughout the whole year.
I’m not one for hyperbole, especially when it comes to food, but this truly is the simplest strawberry tart, and it’s more delicious than the sum of its parts. Make sure to assemble the tart right before you serve it so the crust doesn’t get soggy!
• 1/2 recipe rye pie crust (see rye variation on All-Butter Pie Crust)
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
• 1 pound (450g) small sweet strawberries
• 1 cup (225g) mascarpone
• 3 tablespoons Vanilla Sugar or granulated sugar
• 3 tablespoons high-quality strawberry jam
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F (200 degrees F/Gas Mark 6).
2. On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll out the pie crust disk into an oval about 15 by 6 inches and just under 1/4-inch thick. Use a paring knife or pastry cutter to trim any rough edges and move the parchment sheet and crust to a baking sheet. Dock the crust with a fork to prevent it from puffing up too much in the oven. Brush the surface of the crust from edge to edge with the egg wash. Bake the dough until it is deep golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Check on the crust halfway through baking and if any bubbles have appeared, use a spatula to press them flat. Cool the crust completely on the pan.
3. While the crust is cooling, combine the mascarpone and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Hull the strawberries and slice them into 1/4-inch slices.
4. Move the cooled pie crust to a serving platter or board and spread the mascarpone over the top in an even layer, dot with the jam, then arrange the sliced strawberries in a single, slightly overlapping layer in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle the tart with the remaining tablespoon of sugar (omit this final sprinkling if your strawberries are particularly sweet), slice, and serve immediately.
Find more recipes from Yossy Arefi:
Reprinted with permission from Sweeter Off the Vine, by Yossy Arefi, copyright © 2016, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs copyright © 2016 by Yossy Arefi