• 2 pounds collard greens, cleaned and deveined
• 6 strips thick-sliced bacon
• 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
• 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1 tablespoon hot sauce
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Stack collard greens, and slice all leaves into 1-inch strips. Set aside.
2. Slice bacon into 1-inch pieces, and fry in large stockpot over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pot, and drain on plate lined with paper-towels.
3. Add onion to stockpot, and sauté in drippings until softened. Add chicken stock, vinegar, maple syrup and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until heated through.
4. Add collard greens and bacon pieces to stockpot, and toss, using metal tongs, until leaves are well-coated.
5. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Try more comfort food recipes with Country Cooking Classics: Chicken Fried Steak and More.