Slow-Cooker Lemon Rosemary Chicken Recipe
- 1 (4 1⁄2-lb.) chicken
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 lemon
- 4 carrots, peeled and halved
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. pepper
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick spray. Make 5 balls out of foil and place them in the slow cooker. Remove the neck and any other loose bits from the inside of the chicken and discard.
- Place the chicken on top of the foil balls and brush on the melted butter. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze all the juice out over the chicken; tuck the lemon halves around the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
Variations:• Lemon Thyme Chicken: Substitute ½ teaspoon dried thyme for the rosemary • Lemon Creole Chicken: Substitute 1½ teaspoons of Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning for the rosemary, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper.
More From The Magical Slow-Cooker:• Slow-Cooker Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler Recipe • Slow-Cooker Chinese Five Spice Pork Tenderloin Recipe
Sarah Olson, The Magical Slow Cooker: Recipes for Busy Moms (Springville, Utah: Front Table Books, © 2015), 150-151. Used by permission of Cedar Fort, Inc.
There’s nothing quite like coming home to find your dinner has cooked itself. In addition to being easy to use, slow-cookers provide a great opportunity to re-imagine leftovers and tackle would-be complex recipes with ease. The versatility of the slow-cooking process means it can produce varied recipes for all meals of the day from all over the world. The Magical Slow-Cooker (Front Table Books, 2015) by Sarah Olson, provides a roadmap for the slow-cooker—full of tips and prep-ahead, healthy recipes to fit any busy schedule or tight budget.
You can purchase this book from the GRIT store: The Magical Slow-Cooker
Putting a whole chicken in the slow cooker produces the juiciest, tenderest chicken you will ever taste. The veggies are optional, and I’ve included a couple variations of seasoning below if you don’t like rosemary.