- 2 pounds yellow tomatoes
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 medium orange
- 1 package (3⁄4 ounce) powdered pectin
- 7 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Wash, core, peel, and slice tomatoes. Wash lemon and orange, slice thinly, and chop coarsely. Place tomatoes, lemon, and orange in large, deep kettle. Add pectin, and stir until well-combined.
- Cook over high heat, stirring often, until juices form and liquid boils. Add sugar and salt. Bring to hard boil, and boil for about 10 minutes. Add spices during last few minutes of cooking. Remove from heat, and let mixture cool for a few minutes.
- With metal spoon, skim off foam and discard. Pour preserves into 9 hot half-pint jars, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Seal with new and sterilized lids and bands. Process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Remove from water bath, and allow to cool before storing.
For more, see Recipes for Colorful Canned Tomatoes