Whole-Grain Cereal Packets Recipe
By Renee Pottle
Photo by Unsplash/ Rachael Gorjestani
Hot cereal mixes are convenient and nutritious, but usually too sweet for my liking. Try making your own mixes flavored with dried fruit.
Yield: 14 servings.
- 1 cup barley flakes
- 1 cup whole-wheat flakes
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1-1/2 cups quick rolled oats
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon dried fruit of choice
- 1 tablespoon nuts of choice
1. Mix all ingredients together. Place 1/4 cup mixture each into 14 zip-close bags or 1/2-pint canning jars.
2. To prepare, combine mixture with 1/3 cup boiling water. Cover, and let sit 2 to 3 minutes. Stir, and add sugar or honey to taste.
- Peach Almond Maple: Add 1 tablespoon snipped dried peaches, 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, and 1/4 teaspoon maple sugar to each mix.
- Apple Cinnamon Walnut: Add 1 tablespoon chopped dried apples, 1 tablespoon walnut pieces, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon to each mix.
- Blueberry Pecan: Add 1 tablespoon dried blueberries, 1 tablespoon chopped pecans, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or dried lemon zest to each mix.
Check out more tasty recipes using dehydrated foods here!
Renee Pottle writes about food preservation and gardening from her home in Kennewick, Washington. She’s the author of Creative Jams and Preserves and The Confident Canner.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.