- 1 wild boar roast or shoulder roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 to 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- Coat all sides of roast with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, rosemary, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Rub over entire roast.
- Heat a little olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat, and sear on all sides until evenly browned.
- Place roast, onion, celery, and carrots in a slow cooker. Add enough water to cover the bottom by 1⁄4 inch.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or until meat pulls apart easily.
- Remove meat and set aside to rest for 20 to 30 minutes before shredding.
- Enjoy as a sandwich, wrapped in a tortilla, or as a stand-alone pulled pork dish with sauce.
For additional recipes and information, see Cooking with Wild Hog.
Kristi Cook and her family have been building their homestead for many years. Kristi shares their vast experiences through her articles, workshops, and her blog.