Slow Cooker Squash and Chicken Chili
The squash and Great Northern beans give this chili a creamy quality that is delicious, with a wonderful mouthfeel.
• 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
• 3 cups chopped onion
• 1 pound ground chicken
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1 1/2 pounds winter squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
• 1 jar (16 ounces) organic salsa
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 2 to 3 cloves)
• 1 can (14 ounces) Great Northern beans, or equivalent home cooked
• 1 jar (15 ounces) organic diced tomatoes
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• Sour cream and shredded cheese, for garnish, optional
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and ground chicken, and sauté until onions begin to soften. Add chili powder and squash, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour mixture into slow cooker.
2. Add salsa, garlic, beans, tomatoes, stock and salt; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until squash is tender.
3. To serve, ladel into serving bowls and garnish with sour cream and cheese, if desired.
Interested in more squash recipes to pair with this cool weather? Check out Winter Squash Recipes Delight Diners.
Karen K. Will is editor of Heirloom Gardener magazine, and co-author, along with Editor-in-Chief Oscar H. Will III, of Plowing With Pigs and Other Creative, Low-Budget Homesteading Solutions (New Society Publishers, 2013).