By Will Budiaman | Jul 16, 2019
Photo by Getty/yuliang11
Yields: About 2 Pounds
Translated literally, the name of this Indonesian fish sausage means “brainbrain,” perhaps a reference to its appearance. It is traditionally wrapped in banana leaves, then grilled or steamed. We use sheep casings instead here—a bit easier to find and perfectly suitable for the task.
- Grinder with the fine (1⁄8-inch) die
- 1 metal mixing bowl
- Sheet pan
- Wire rack
- 6 feet sheep casings
- 2 pounds whitefish fillets, such as tilapia, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts
- Prepare your casings. Refrigerate the mixing bowl and all the grinder and stuffer parts. Freeze the fish, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes.
- Assemble your grinder. Place the bowl next to the grinder and grind the whitefish fillets into the bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, cornstarch, coconut milk (shake the can vigorously before opening), sugar, and scallions. Knead the mixture for at least 5 minutes.
- Cook a test piece, taste and adjust the seasonings as preferred, then refrigerate the remaining mix.
- Assemble your stuffer. Lubricate the horn and slide the casing onto it. Dampen your work surface with water. Stuff the fish into the casing, tying off the open ends at the beginning and end.
- Prick any air bubbles.
- Twist off links, alternating directions for each link.
- Refrigerate overnight, uncovered, on a wire rack set over a sheet pan. Cook or freeze within 3 days.
More from Easy Sausage Making:
Excerpt fromEasy Sausage Making: Essential Techniques and Recipes to Master Making Sausages at Home, by Will Budiaman, published by Rockridge Press. Copyright © 2017 by Callisto Media. All rights reserved.
Create a Home Canning Pantry That Works for You
If you’re anything like me you might be somewhat limited on your space. We have six people and live in a 1,500-square-foot home. I’m not complaining one bit about its size but sometimes, I do need to get creative when it comes to storing home canned foods and my canning supplies. If this is the […]
Grill Outside the Box
Sear up savory vegetable and bread dishes that go beyond traditional grill grub.
Seek Chanterelles in Summertime
Morels aren’t the only treasure available to mushroom lovers! Expand your foraging to include chanterelles, and savor their flavor in these recipes.