Optional Seasoning Blend Recipes
By Jenny Flores
Photo by Iamthatiam
Sausage is a classic breakfast food, but it’s also an economical source of protein that can be enjoyed at every meal. Add more flavor to any recipe that calls for ground beef by substituting homemade sausage.
The following seasoning blends work especially well with Mexican and Italian foods. However, your shepherd’s pie, meatloaf, and even hamburgers will also be more flavorful and contain less fat with this simple substitution.
If you’re a fan of Mexican food, chorizo seasoning may be just what you’re looking for. Although traditional chorizo is made with pork or beef, adding this seasoning blend to venison sausage gives an authentic taste to tacos, burritos, and enchiladas, and makes a delicious addition to scrambled eggs, too.
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Photo by ALLEKO
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and blend well.
- Add to sausage, and mix thoroughly to combine.
Italian Sausage Seasoning
Use this seasoning blend in sausage made for your favorite Italian dishes, such as lasagna, spaghetti, ravioli, or as a topping for made-from-scratch pizza. It’s also delicious in stuffed bell peppers and holiday stuffing.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Photo by Alina555
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well.
- Add to sausage, and blend thoroughly.
Find more information on making venison sausage, along with a recipe for Breakfast Venison Sausage, in The Art of Homemade Venison Sausage.
Jenny Flores is a regular contributor to Homestead.org and a blogger for multiple magazines, including Grit and Mother Earth Living.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.