Grand’s Apple Pie
By Sweet Summer Farm | Nov 3, 2016
Grand’s apple pie is awesome. It’s great in any season, but really good in the fall made with fresh local apples. Grand has been making this pie for over forty years, and it’s definitely a family favorite.
• 4 to 6 cups of sliced apples
• 1 cup of sugar
• 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
• 3 tablespoons of frozen orange juice concentrate
• 1 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
• 2 piecrusts
1. Mix together the sugar and the cornstarch. Set aside.
2. Mix your frozen orange juice concentrate with your nutmeg.
3. Gently stir orange juice concentrate and nutmeg mixture with the apples.
4. Sprinkle the sugar and cornstarch mixture on top of your apple mixture and stir.
5. Place your bottom pie crust in your pie plate and pour filling into your pie plate, then place your top pie crust over your filling.
6. Crimp your pie crust however you like, and cut several small slits in the top.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes
Hints from Grand: Check out our pie crust recipe — Grand’s Best Pie Crust Ever. Grand’s favorite way to seal the two pie crusts together is to just use a fork. You take your fork and press the crusts together all the way around the pie. Grand also likes to brush the top of the pie with a beaten egg white and sprinkle it with sugar; it makes for a very pretty pie.
Create a Home Canning Pantry That Works for You
If you’re anything like me you might be somewhat limited on your space. We have six people and live in a 1,500-square-foot home. I’m not complaining one bit about its size but sometimes, I do need to get creative when it comes to storing home canned foods and my canning supplies. If this is the […]
Grill Outside the Box
Sear up savory vegetable and bread dishes that go beyond traditional grill grub.
Seek Chanterelles in Summertime
Morels aren’t the only treasure available to mushroom lovers! Expand your foraging to include chanterelles, and savor their flavor in these recipes.