Filipino Longanisa Recipe
Photo by Getty/audio-science
Yield: About 2 Pounds
The Spanish brought their sausage-making traditions with them when they came to the Philippines in the late 16th century. This sausage is the Filipino version of longaniza, a Spanish sausage. The addition of vinegar gives it a distinct tang.
- Grinder with the coarse (3⁄8-inch) die
- 1 metal mixing bowl
- Sheet pan
- Wire rack
- 4 feet medium hog casings
- 2 pounds pork butt, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
Photo by Jen Siska
- Prepare your casings. Refrigerate the mixing bowl and all the grinder and stuffer parts. Freeze the meat, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes.
- Assemble your grinder. Place the bowl next to the grinder and grind the pork butt into the bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, oregano, garlic, and vinegar. Knead the mixture for at least 5 minutes.
- Cook a test piece, taste and adjust the seasonings as preferred, then refrigerate the remaining mix.
- Assemble your stuffer. Lubricate the horn and slide the casing onto it. Dampen your work surface with water. Stuff the meat into the casing, tying off the open ends at the beginning and end.
- Prick any air bubbles.
- Twist off links, alternating directions for each link.
- Refrigerate overnight, uncovered, on a wire rack set over a sheet pan. Cook or freeze within 3 days.
More from Easy Sausage Making:
Excerpt fromEasy Sausage Making: Essential Techniques and Recipes to Master Making Sausages at Home, by Will Budiaman, published by Rockridge Press. Copyright © 2017 by Callisto Media. All rights reserved.
Persimmons: Sweet as Pie
Plant persimmon trees in zones 4 to 9 and harvest sweet fruit for delicious recipes of cupcakes, custard pies, sweet breads, iced cookies.
Leavened and Unleavened Flatbread with Recipes
Learn the history behind flatbread and try your hands at making leavened and unleavened fresh flatbread recipes in no time.
Red Fife Double Chocolate Cookies
Sift red fife heritage wheat flour before measuring to ensure the correct amount and air is incorporating into the double chocolate cookies.