- 6 cups red currants
- 6 cups water
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- Crush currants with a potato masher, and mix all ingredients together in a 1-gallon jar.
- Cover jar opening with a cloth secured with a rubber band, and then set outside in a protected location to ferment.
- Stir gently once a day for seven days. Allow to rest another seven days.
- Strain into a new jar and allow to rest another few days, to finish fermenting.
- Bottle wine and cap loosely for a few more days before sealing for storage. Store in a cool, dark place.
A family friend, Richard Yingst Sr., offered to share this currant wine recipe with readers.
Learn how to grow and harvest currants in All About Growing Currants.