Eva Blouch’s Currant Wine
By Andrew Weidman | Apr 2, 2019
Photo by Getty Images/Iryna Kaliukina.
A family friend, Richard Yingst Sr., offered to share this currant wine recipe with readers.
- 6 cups red currants
- 6 cups water
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- Crush currants with a potato masher, and mix all ingredients together in a 1-gallon jar.
- Cover jar opening with a cloth secured with a rubber band, and then set outside in a protected location to ferment.
- Stir gently once a day for seven days. Allow to rest another seven days.
- Strain into a new jar and allow to rest another few days, to finish fermenting.
- Bottle wine and cap loosely for a few more days before sealing for storage. Store in a cool, dark place.
Learn how to grow and harvest currants in All About Growing Currants.
Create a Home Canning Pantry That Works for You
If you’re anything like me you might be somewhat limited on your space. We have six people and live in a 1,500-square-foot home. I’m not complaining one bit about its size but sometimes, I do need to get creative when it comes to storing home canned foods and my canning supplies. If this is the […]
Grill Outside the Box
Sear up savory vegetable and bread dishes that go beyond traditional grill grub.
Seek Chanterelles in Summertime
Morels aren’t the only treasure available to mushroom lovers! Expand your foraging to include chanterelles, and savor their flavor in these recipes.