Deer Heart Frittata Recipe
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup mild, white onion, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup precooked deer heart, diced into pea-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and asparagus. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in beaten eggs, and stir to combine with vegetables.
- Add heart pieces, and allow contents to cook until almost set. Since heart is already cooked, this step is to heat it thoroughly.
- Sprinkle cheese over top, and cook until cheese is slightly melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In spring, we often substitute foraged morel mushrooms for store-bought fungi. Come summer, freshly gathered black trumpets and golden chanterelles will enhance this dish. As wild mushrooms can have an intense flavor, we recommend reducing their amount in this recipe by one-third to one-half.
If this recipe whetted your appetite, click the link to find out more about the Do’s and Don’ts of Cooking with Deer Heart.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, a book about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@gmail.com.