Crab Apple Pie Recipe
Photo Getty Images/MentalArt
Yields 1 pie.
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 4 to 5 cups cored and chopped crab apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Pie Filling Enhancer, or thickener of your choice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pea-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with one crust. Set remaining crust aside.
- In a saucepan, cook crab apples and sugar over low heat until fruit begins to soften, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cinnamon and thickener.
- Pour filling into crust-lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Cover with remaining crust, and seal edges.
- Cut a couple of slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F, and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing, to allow filling to set up. 7. Store sausage in the freezer for up to one year. Before use, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Discover more information on crab apples, as well as more great recipes, in Cooking with Crab Apples.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@Gmail.com.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.