Photo by Getty Images/noonika
Yields 12 servings.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk, optional
- 1 cup chopped crab apples
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Place paper liners in muffin pan; set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream butter and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg, and beat well. Stir in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and flours.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, and mix to combine. If mixture is too dry, add milk as needed. Gently stir in fruit and nuts.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Discover more information on crab apples, as well as more great recipes, in Cooking with Crab Apples.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@Gmail.com.