Crab Apple Bread Pudding Recipe
A tasty twist on traditional bread pudding for a delicious summer treat.
6 - 8
- 8 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, cut into cubes
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cored and chopped crab apples
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle bread cubes in dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whip eggs. Add syrup, brown sugar, half-and-half, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon, and mix well. Pour over bread in baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine butter, crab apples, and granulated sugar. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until fruit is slightly tender.
- Pour fruit mixture over ingredients in baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes, or until set.
Discover more information on crab apples, as well as more great recipes, in Cooking with Crab Apples.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@gmail.com.