By Will Budiaman | Jul 16, 2019
Photo by Pixabay/Moira Nazzari
Yield: About 2 1/4 Pounds
This sausage is a specialty of Emilia-Romagna, a region known for its hearty cooking. Here, warming spices like cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg make for an interesting pairing with another one of the region’s specialties, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Grinder with the coarse (3/8-inch) die
- 1 metal mixing bowl
- Sheet pan
- Wire rack
- 4 feet medium hog casings
- 2 pounds fresh ham with skin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted ground cloves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Photo by Jen Siska
- Prepare your casings. Refrigerate the mixing bowl and all the grinder and stuffer parts. Freeze the meat, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes.
- Assemble your grinder. Place the bowl next to the grinder and grind the ham into the bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and cheese. Knead the mixture for at least 5 minutes.
- Cook a test piece, taste and adjust the seasonings as preferred, then refrigerate the remaining mix.
- Assemble your stuffer. Lubricate the horn and slide the casing onto it. Dampen your work surface with water. Stuff the meat into the casing, tying off the open ends at the beginning and end.
- Prick any air bubbles.
- Twist off links, alternating directions for each link.
- Refrigerate overnight, uncovered, on a wire rack set over a sheet pan. Cook or freeze within 3 days.
More from Easy Sausage Making:
Excerpt fromEasy Sausage Making: Essential Techniques and Recipes to Master Making Sausages at Home, by Will Budiaman, published by Rockridge Press. Copyright © 2017 by Callisto Media. All rights reserved.
Create a Home Canning Pantry That Works for You
If you’re anything like me you might be somewhat limited on your space. We have six people and live in a 1,500-square-foot home. I’m not complaining one bit about its size but sometimes, I do need to get creative when it comes to storing home canned foods and my canning supplies. If this is the […]
Grill Outside the Box
Sear up savory vegetable and bread dishes that go beyond traditional grill grub.
Seek Chanterelles in Summertime
Morels aren’t the only treasure available to mushroom lovers! Expand your foraging to include chanterelles, and savor their flavor in these recipes.