Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
We have enjoyed this recipe for a number of years and it came from a good friend of Grands’, Mrs. Betty Hutchinson. Miss Betty is a wonderful cook and has shared many of her recipes with us and we enjoy them all. This is a delicious recipe for a main dish and we like it served with broccoli or English peas.
1 cooked and deboned chicken
6 eggs boiled and chopped
3 cups of chicken broth
2 tablespoons of corn starch
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
1-1/2 cups of self rising flour
1-1/2 cups of buttermilk
1 stick of melted butter
1. Cover chicken with water and simmer chicken for several hours with salt, pepper, and seasonings of your choice. This step could be done in a Crock-Pot and the chicken will be done in time for supper. Make sure to cover chicken with enough water so you have 3 cups of chicken broth when you get done.
2. In a saucepan combine 1 cup of chicken broth, corn starch, salt, pepper, and the garlic powder and cook to make a thickened broth and set aside.
3. Make crust by combining the self-rising flour and the buttermilk and slowly whisk in the melted butter. Don’t panic, this crust is thin so that you can pour it.
4. De-bone chicken and put meat in a 9 by 13 pan and top with boiled eggs. Then cover the boiled eggs and chicken with your thickened broth.
5. Pour crust over chicken, eggs, and thickened broth. Spread until crust covers the top. Now, I know this sounds strange but, you’re going to pour 2 cups of chicken broth over the entire top of the casserole. Yes, on top of the crust that you smoothed nicely over the top you are now going to pour 2 cups of chicken broth. Just pour back and forth, over the entire pan. I know, I know it sounds strange and looks even stranger. You’ll probably think “I’ve ruined this” but you haven’t.
6. Put it in the oven at 350 F for 1 hour till bubbly and golden brown on top.
The broth that you put on at the end will sink through the crust and make a delicious sauce over the chicken and eggs and the crust will rise to the top and become golden brown. It’s just magic! We hope you enjoy it, please let us know.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.