- 1 gallon cucumbers, sliced
- 8 medium onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 1 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- In large bowl, place cucumbers and onions. Dissolve salt in water; pour over cucumbers.
- Cover with ice; weigh down. Let stand 3 hours.
- In stockpot, combine sugar, vinegar and spices; bring to boil.
- Drain vegetables and add to pot. Bring back to just short of boiling; do not boil vegetables.
- Pack into hot jars and process in water bath for 15 minutes.
Granny’s bread and butter pickles
Interested in more? Check out Recipe Box: Make Your Own Cookbook Plus Heirloom Recipes from Carol J. Alexander.
Carol J. Alexander is the author of Homestead Cooking with Carol: Bountiful Make-ahead Meals. She writes and gardens in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Emily still does a lot of the cooking.