- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups blackberries, washed and drained
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pinch plus 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream or ice cream, optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large saucepan, blend 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch; add blackberries, butter, and pinch of salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Remove from heat, and stir in lemon zest and juice. Spread mixture in bottom of an ungreased 8-by-8-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour with remaining sugar, baking powder, and remaining salt. With fork, cut in chilled butter until coarse crumbs form. Add milk, and mix to make a soft dough.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls over fruit mixture in pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden-brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve plain, or topped with cream or ice cream, if desired.
Check out these other Fresh Fruit Recipes.
This Blackberry Cobbler recipe is the ultimate summer dessert and pairs perfectly with a scoop of ice cream.