- 2-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup lard
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 9-by-13-inch cake pan; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream 1-1⁄3 cups sugar with lard. Add eggs, buttermilk and blackberries, and stir to combine.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, allspice and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Stir into creamed mixture, mixing well. Fold in nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan.
- In large mixing bowl, mix remaining sugar and cream cheese with hand mixer until fluffy. Add whipped topping, and mix gently to combine. Spread on cooled cake. Find more nut-enriched recipes here: Nut Recipes for the Country Kitchen.
Juicy blackberries lend sweetness to this moist cake, topped with whipped cream cheese.