Here at GRIT Magazine, we like to make recipes using ingredients originating in our own backyards. In this Pumpkin Roll Up recipe, a cream cheese filling adds extra sweetness to a basic pumpkin cake. See the related links to learn how to make your own pumpkin puree to use in the recipe.
Learn how to whip up a delicious pumpkin and cream cheese swirl of festive flavors.
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup softened butter
6 oz cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Whisk together the eggs and sugar.
2. Mix in the rest of the roll ingredients.
3. Spread the mixture on a parchment paper-lined baking pan.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat together the ingredients for the filling.
6. Dust a towel with powdered sugar.
7. Remove the pumpkin mixture from the oven and place face down in the powdered sugar, peeling the parchment paper off the back.
8. Spread the filling over the pumpkin and roll up into a cylinder.
9. Wrap the roll in parchment paper, then aluminum foil and chill for 1 hour.
10. Slice up and enjoy!
Here at GRIT Magazine, we are passionate about rural American know-how and helping people learn more about creating the self-sufficient lives they want. Check out Videos from GRIT to see more from our editors.
Find us on these social networks: