Deer Heart Barbecue Recipe
We prefer to use mild barbecue sauce in this recipe, because spicy sauce will overwhelm the heart’s delicate flavor. Serve barbecued heart over rice or with mashed potatoes, and with sides of grilled asparagus tips, pineapple slices, and sourdough bread or cornbread.
Yield: 2 servings.
- 1 venison heart
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild, white onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1. Place heart in small slow cooker. Cover with water, any broth of your choice, or two cans condensed cream of mushroom soup mixed with water to make about 6 cups liquid. Cover, and cook on low for 6 hours. Chill heart, and then slice thinly.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
3. Add onions and green pepper, and sauté until tender.
4. Add heart slices to skillet, top with barbecue sauce, and heat thoroughly. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes, with grilled asparagus tips, pineapple slices, and sourdough or cornbread.
If this recipe whetted your appetite, click the link to find out more about the Do’s and Don’ts of Cooking with Deer Heart.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, a book about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@Gmail.com.
Be a Fan of Fat
Animal and vegetable fats are healthier than you may think. Olive, canola, almond, walnut oils, all filled with vitamins K, A, and D
Wash Away Rain Gutter Woes
Maintaining and regular cleaning of barn and farm structure gutters improves the health and safety of livestock and farmers.
Plant Breeding for Gardeners
Chris Colby helps us understand plant breeding basics, hybridization, open-pollination, F2 crosses, allels, and fertilization.