- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1 cup Arborio rice (do not rinse)
- 1 cup diced lean ham
- 4 cups hot chicken broth (heat cold broth to boiling before use)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chopped cooked veggies, such as broccoli and zucchini (room temperature)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes (about 8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add red pepper, onions, garlic and Italian seasoning, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and stir until well-coated and translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ham and hot broth, stirring in 1 cup at a time until each addition has been absorbed. (The entire process should take 20 to 25 minutes.)
- Stir in wine, cooked veggies and tomatoes, and simmer until wine is absorbed. Add Parmesan cheese; salt and pepper to taste. For creamier texture, allow risotto to stand a minute or two before serving.
A medley of cooked vegetables and ham turns ordinary risotto into a lively blend of color and flavor with this Risotto Primavera with Ham recipe. Fresh parmesan cheese adds just the right amount of creaminess for an oh-so-delicious side dish or meal.