- 1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound tender green beans, ends removed
- 1/2 pound carrots (about 3 medium), cut into slices
- 1/2 pound small pickling onions, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- Prepare all vegetables.
- Combine vinegar, sugars, spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then add prepared vegetables.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pack into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps.
- Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath.
Easy End-of-the-Garden Homemade Pickle recipe for vegetables you need to use up from the garden.
Preserving Fruits and Vegetables
GRIT reader Goldie Aaron, of Marietta, Ohio, is looking for a recipe for the Last of The Garden, which includes lima beans, corn and green beans. The recipes we received didn’t match Goldie’s description exactly for the recipe she is looking for, however, they sound fairly close. It seems to be a recipe that can be changed at will, depending on the produce in your garden.
Leona Hanson, of Middlefield, Ohio, sent a version she copied from her older Kerr and Ball canning books.
For some more summer recipe inspiration, check out Pickle Recipes: Put Summer Flavor in a Jar.