If you are like me, I tend to remember my furnace only when the weather turns cold. Once it gets turned off for the summer, I forget all about it. Having forgotten about it come summer, then I remember how I did not change the filter or maintenance before turning it off. I hope these five ways will help you – and me – prolong the life of the HVAC units in our homes and businesses.
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) units can be costly to repair. Having to replace your unit more often than needed adds even greater costs. Who wants to spend that kind of money repairing the HVAC unit again and again? I know I do not. I also do not want to have to replace the HVAC unit before the anticipated time projected by the warranty or average life of a unit. Do you?
Here are Five Ways to Prolong the Life of Your HVAC Unit
1. Keep storage, clutter, and dust clear of the unit. Air flow around the furnace, heat pump, or air conditioner is needed to keep the unit cooler. Keeping the area dust-free keeps vents from becoming over clogged.
2. Clean or replace the filters as needed. Window air conditioning units typically have a filter which is easy to clean and reuse. Furnace filters need to be replaced – at least quarterly, if not monthly. Most hardware or home improvement stores carry these filters. Look on your filter before going to the store for the correct size. (Take a pic of your filter size on your smart phone for easier recall when at the store.) Filters are usually available in regular or hypoallergenic options.
3. If the weather is not severe, keep thermostat set a couple of degrees higher or lower. This saves the unit from working too hard and reduces the power bill. A sweatshirt or slippers may be all you need to keep warm with a reduced temperature in the home. (Individuals with serious health issues and infants may need to have the temperature a little warmer or cooler. If unsure, please consult your medical professional.)
4. Service your HVAC unit semi-annually. Just like a car, HVAC units need a tune-up to keep functioning their best. According to Jay Ellis of Halo Heating and Cooling, “Semiannual tune ups will extend the life of the HVAC unit, improve energy bills, reduce repairs and diagnostic cost.”
5. Know where your HVAC unit warranty paperwork is and what it covers.Some warranties will not remain valid if proper maintenance is not completed per manufacturer requirements.
While some of these five ways may seem overly simple, each one can contribute to a longer life of your HVAC unit. A longer lasting HVAC unit saves you money from unnecessary repairs or replacement.
Schedule the Reminders in Your Online Calendar or Planner
Add a recurring reminder to your smart phone’s calendar of the needed semiannual HVAC unit servicing. This is a great way to keep your reminders at your fingertips.
As you work through the above five ways to prolong the life of your HVAC unit, I hope you will have success in reducing your HVAC costs.
Share How You Save with Your HVAC Unit
What are some other ways you have saved money with your HVAC unit? I would love to hear your answers in the comments below!