Traditional Seasoning Blend Recipes
By Jenny Flores
The following seasoning blends are formulated for the amount of meat in the “Breakfast Venison Sausage” recipe. If you double or quadruple the sausage recipe, be sure to double or quadruple the seasoning blend.
Although the following seasoning recipes are tasty, don’t let them limit you. Create your own signature seasoning based on the particular likes and dislikes of your family. They’ll appreciate it.
Classic Breakfast Sausage Seasoning
Classic breakfast sausage is a flavor my family is accustomed to enjoying in the morning. Whether you want a sausage for a biscuit sandwich, to enjoy with eggs and toast, or to use in sausage gravy, this is the seasoning blend for you. Control the heat by increasing or decreasing the amount of crushed red pepper flakes.
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk to blend.
- Add to sausage, and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
Traditional Maple-Flavored Sausage Seasoning
Maple-flavored sausage patties are perfect for making sandwiches on English muffins, and they also pair well with waffles and pancakes.
- 1/4 cup Grade B (dark) maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed anise seed
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well.
- Pour over sausage, and blend with your hands until evenly incorporated.
Find more information on making venison sausage, along with a recipe for Breakfast Venison Sausage, in The Art of Homemade Venison Sausage.
Jenny Flores is a regular contributor to Homestead.org and a blogger for multiple magazines, including Grit and Mother Earth Living.
Persimmons: Sweet as Pie
Plant persimmon trees in zones 4 to 9 and harvest sweet fruit for delicious recipes of cupcakes, custard pies, sweet breads, iced cookies.
Leavened and Unleavened Flatbread with Recipes
Learn the history behind flatbread and try your hands at making leavened and unleavened easy fresh flatbread recipes in no time.
Red Fife Double Chocolate Cookies
Sift red fife heritage wheat flour before measuring to ensure the correct amount and air is incorporating into the double chocolate cookies.