- 1 quart fresh Rubus berries
- 2/3 cup sugar, or more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 drops Fiori di Sicilia herbal extract
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup tapioca pearls or pie filling enhancer
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine berries, sugar, extracts, and tapioca pearls, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, stir with a wire whisk, and set aside for 2 to 3 minutes. Batter will thicken a bit.
- Place butter into an ovenproof 2-quart baking dish. Place the dish in the preheated oven, until butter is almost completely melted.
- Remove dish from oven and pour batter over melted butter. Top with sugared berries, spreading fruit out to edges of dish.
- Return dish to oven and bake, uncovered, for 37 to 40 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and batter is golden-brown.
This recipe comes from our book Living the Locavore Lifestyle and is reprinted courtesy of the publisher.