Whole-Wheat Waffle Recipe
By Kristi Cook
Enjoy this simple recipe that makes whole-wheat waffles with a crispy crust and a meltingly soft inside. You can also make them ahead to freeze.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey*
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups cold buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large frozen eggs, thawed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar*, baking powder, and salt. Add buttermilk, oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla, and mix with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour recommended amount of batter into waffle iron, and cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve hot with additional honey and blueberries.
Any frozen eggs may be used in this recipe. Completely thaw eggs in the refrigerator. If using whole frozen eggs, mash or blend yolks to minimize yellow flecks.
*If using honey, add it with the buttermilk, rather than with the flours.
Learn how to store seasonal bounty for later in How to Preserve Surplus Eggs.