SIMPLE STEW AND SOUP RECIPES:
10 Homemade Stew and Soup Recipes for Fall and Winter
- 7 quarts water
- 1 lb carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 2 sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 medium turnips, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 8 peppercorns
Prepare home canning jars and lids using manufacturer’s instructions.
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Uncover; cook 2 more hours.
Strain stock through a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Discard vegetables and seasonings. Ladle hot stock into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Wipe rim and threads of jar clean. Place lid on jar and screw band down evenly and firmly, but don’t force it.
Process pints for 30 minutes, quarts 35 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.
Makes about 8 pints or 16 one-cup servings.