Traditional Seasoning Blend Recipes
By Jenny Flores
Photo by BWFolsom
The following seasoning blends are formulated for the amount of meat in the “Breakfast Venison Sausage” recipe. If you double or quadruple the sausage recipe, be sure to double or quadruple the seasoning blend.
Although the following seasoning recipes are tasty, don’t let them limit you. Create your own signature seasoning based on the particular likes and dislikes of your family. They’ll appreciate it.
Classic Breakfast Sausage Seasoning
Classic breakfast sausage is a flavor my family is accustomed to enjoying in the morning. Whether you want a sausage for a biscuit sandwich, to enjoy with eggs and toast, or to use in sausage gravy, this is the seasoning blend for you. Control the heat by increasing or decreasing the amount of crushed red pepper flakes.
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Photo by Martin Keiler
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk to blend.
- Add to sausage, and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
Traditional Maple-Flavored Sausage Seasoning
Maple-flavored sausage patties are perfect for making sandwiches on English muffins, and they also pair well with waffles and pancakes.
- 1/4 cup Grade B (dark) maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed anise seed
Photo by Magone
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well.
- Pour over sausage, and blend with your hands until evenly incorporated.
Find more information on making venison sausage, along with a recipe for Breakfast Venison Sausage, in The Art of Homemade Venison Sausage.
Jenny Flores is a regular contributor to Homestead.org and a blogger for multiple magazines, including Grit and Mother Earth Living.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.